Thames Concerts deeply regrets that this concert by the London Sylvan Ensemble will no longer take place. This is in response to the latest lockdown measures.
Thames Concerts’ 2020/21 Series welcomes The London Sylvan Ensemble, under their distinguished conductor Tom Higgins. Thames Concerts is one of London’s premiere recital series (established in the 1960s). Despite ongoing challenges to the whole music industry relating to the Covid-19 situation, we are proud that our concerts will continue to take place in a safe, regulated environment, the home of the series, St Andrew’s Church, Surbiton. Admission £16 on the door (or at an advance discount via Ticketweb). Admission free (no ticket required) to full-time students, under-16s, and accompanying carers of the disabled.
- Petite symphonie, for wind ensemble – Charles Gounod
- 9 Pièces caractéristiques – Jean Françaix
- Kunstlerleben, Artists Life Waltz Op 316 – Johann Strauss II
- Octet-Partita in E flat – Johann Hummel
- Wind Serenade in D minor Op 44 – Antonín Dvorák
Tom Higgins studied conducting at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, winning a silver medal with honours in his first year. He continued his studies with James Lockhart, formerly Music Director of the Kassel Opera House in Germany. During a four-year association with London’s Opera Holland Park he directed the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. His diverse operatic repertoire includes more than 50 works for the stage, ranging from Mozart’s The Magic Flute to Menotti’sThe Consul. He made his German debut in 2003 when he conducted the New Year’s Day Concert with Dresden’s Staatsoperetten Orchestra. While he has conducted leading British orchestras, he is also keen to promote Britain’s fine tradition of wind band playing. His two most recent CDs feature the London Symphonic Concert Band: The Crown Imperial (SOMM 0138) and Elgar and his Peers (SOMM 0170).
Tickets on the door £16 (or at a discount via Ticketweb)
St Andrew’s Church,
Doors open 6.45pm
Concert starts 7.30pm
How to book
- On-line or by phone at an advance discount via www.ticketweb.uk / 08444 77 1000. Audience members should bring email confirmation/I.D. to the event.
- In person: on the door at each event from 6.45pm (full price cash/cheque).
- For all concerts admission is free to under-16s and full-time students (subject to availability). I.D. will be requested. Tickets are not required.
- An individual great value season ticket gaining entry to all concerts costs just £55 and can be purchased directly from Thames Concerts moc.strecnocsemahtnull@ofni.
- St Andrew’s Church is wheelchair accessible and accompanying carers are admitted free (carer tickets not required).
10% off on your concert day at the following local establishments:
(Show your email/programme to staff)